This integration does not require a developer, but it requires System Admin rights for both Microsoft Dynamics and Intercom.
Important Notes & Mandatory Requirements
The installation process for our Microsoft Dynamics and Intercom integration has a few mandatory requirements:
- System Admin rights are required for installation
- The app only works with Microsoft Dynamics 365
- Your Admin will need to create an App in Azure Active Directory
- Your Admin will need to create an Application User in Dynamics 365
Overview of Setup
- Part 1 - Create an Application in Azure Active Directory
- Part 2 - Create an Application User
- Part 3 - Connect Intercom and Dynamics via Highways
Part 1 - Create an Application in Azure Active Directory
- Navigate to https://admin.microsoft.com and sign in using your AD credentials.
- Choose Admin > Admin centers > Azure Active Directory
- Click Azure Active Directory > App registrations followed by Register an Application
- Enter a name for the new application (Use something memorable like Intercom Highways App)
- You can choose the Tenant system to suit your organisation best
- You do not need to enter a redirect URL
- Click Register
- On the next page, click API Permissions > Add A Permission
Choose the MS Dynamics API Type (Alternatively, this permission may be called Dynamics CRM)
- Permit user_impersonation
- Click Add Permissions
- Click Grant Admin Consent for your given org
- Authenticate with Azure if requested
- On the navigation pane, click Overview and record your Display Name, Application ID, and Directory ID values of the app registration. You will require these later.
- Click Certificates & Secrets > New Client Secret
- Give your secret a name and expiry date *we recommend never but you should adhere to your organisation’s security policy*
- Click Add
- Safely note your new secret as it will not be displayed again!
🎉 Congrats, your application is now registered with Azure. Remember, you will shortly need your:
- Application ID
- Application Secret
So, write them down and have them ready for the next step.
Part 2 - Create an Application User
- Navigate to your Common Data Service environment e.g https://[org].crm.dynamics.com
- Go to Settings > Security
- Click Users
- Filter by Application Users
- Click New
- Enter your information - we recommend setting up an Inbox for each User as they must be unique for the App.
- Enter the Application ID as given to you in Azure
- Click Save & Close
- Ensure you assign the correct roles By default, we recommend assigning the Common Data Service User role.
- You will also need to add appropriate permissions for your given app, for example, to view Cases, Orders and Sales Orders, you will need a Customer Service Representative role for this application user.
- You can add roles by clicking Manage Roles, adding the required roles and then saving.
Part 3 - Connect Intercom and Dynamics via Highways
To kick off the install flow via Highways, select the Highways Integration you want to install below:
Option 1 - For Support Teams
This app is best suited to Support teams who want to connect Microsoft Dynamics and Intercom via contacts and cases.
Option 2 - For Sales Teams
This app is suitable for Sales teams who want to use Microsoft Dynamics Sales and Intercom via contacts and quotes.
Option 3 - Contacts Only
This app is our most basic version for teams who want to connect Microsoft Dynamics Contacts and Intercom - there is no additional functionality offered other than contacts.
⚠️ After you click install
Authenticate with Intercom and you will then be redirected to enter your MS Dynamics information.
Enter the information exactly as given to you by Azure and Dynamics365
Your MS Dynamics App is now ready to use with Intercom!